Hmm interesting question. Maybe you’re looking to spruce up the look of your own home or a buyer asked you after seeing the roof has lost it’s simmer and shine.
The short answer is yes, you can paint roof shingles. But let’s look at the pros and cons.
Pros of Painting Your Shingle Roof
- Increased Life Expectancy
- Cleaner Look
- Cost Effective
- More Environmentally Friendly Compared To Roof Replacement
Cons of Painting Your Shingle Roof
- Requires more maintenance
- You will have to replace your roof at somepoint
- It is tough to paint and requires professional application
- Issues with home insurance
If you’re going to paint an asphalt shingled roof, consider the cost difference (painting estimate $3,000 on the average-sized home without any roof leaks that need repairs) versus replacing a shingled roof can cost around $10,000.